Pages

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Moving... New Orleans... A Dog

Beginning February 8, 2011, theses are the major purchases and/or trips on our calendar. I guesstimate it will cost us $5,000. I've given us 15 weeks (2/8/11 - 5/17/11) to save the money and I've broken it down to about $333/wk. This is good, sense that is my weekly salary, minus $3. How did I come up with this idea? I'm going to say that it was due to the fact I spent 45 - 50 minutes in prayer after I dropped the Senator off at the train station this morning.

Here is what I thought/prayed about.
Moving: yesterday the Senator and I went to look at a condo that was available for rent. The cost was $1350/mo and the deposit was $1350. Hypothetically, If we were to apply and be approved for the condo today, we would need to pay $135o (our deposit) + $900 (this month's rent for the apartment we are living in now). That's ... 14, 15, 16, 17... *breaking out calculator & adding 1350 + 900* ... $2250. This would give us a move-in date of March 4, 2011. Since it's not the first of the month we would have to pay a prorated fee for the condo of which I'm guessing they figure by taking the total monthly amount for rent and divide it by the number of days. So that would make our first month's rent for the condo *breaking out calendar to see how many days are in March* ... 27 days left in March if we move-in on the 4th; so we would need to pay $1350/27 *switching screens on my iPhone to do the math* I got $50. Okay. So. Plan B: call the Senator. *picking up the phone to call and ask how they figure out the prorated fee* brb ... Okay... he says... *immediately forgot what he said.... ugh! calling back. He's laughing.... $1350(rent amt)/30(number of days in an average month)=$45 multiply that by *3(because it's 3 days after the first of the month)=$135. Now I take $1350 and subtract $135, giving me $1215(our prorated rent for March). One thousand, two-hundred and fifteen dollars added to $2250 equals ... *breaking out calculator* $3465 *realizing I under guesstimated* This figure does not include the cost of boxes, a moving truck, and possible movers. Let's go ahead and round it up to $3700 giving us $300 for boxes, truck and movers, maybe. So according to the aforementioned calculations, moving is going to approximately cost us $3700. Next.

New Orleans: May 26, 2011, the Senator and I celebrate being married for four years. In addition, we also celebrate the 30th birthday for one of our close friends, A. She works at Hopkins as a microbiologist and is planning to be in New Orleans for a work thing. A decided that she wanted to spend her 30th with friends so we all decided to make it one big party and fly to New Orleans for her birthday and our anniversary. I was looking at some flight and hotel packages for *breaking out calendar to check number of days and nights* 4 nights and 5 days in New Orleans. I found nice packages for $350 - $500/pp. Not including food and fun. I'm in charge of getting packages together and want to keep it as close to the $350 range as possible. So let's just say $350 times the Senator and I? $700 total for flight and hotel. Add another $350 for food and fun (modest trip I know, but with this group of friends, we don't need much at all to be entertained) bringing our trip to *thinking, the math is simple* $1050. Next.

A Dog: After we return from New Orleans, the Senator and I want to rescue a puppy as our 4-year anniversary gift to one another. I haven't done any research at all except the type of dog we want (American Bulldog), and guess that most places will charge a $200 pet deposit fee. With shots for puppy, food for puppy, bed for puppy, toys for puppy, rescue fee for puppy, and pet deposit for puppy. I'm guesstimating about $1100. *praying I'm guessing on the high end*

That said, my bottom line has obviously increased. I began with a guesstimated goal to save $5000 over 15 weeks = $333/wk but ended up with
*adding totals from above... drum roll please*
$5850 over 15 weeks = $390/wk. Not bad,right!? In-fact. This makes it so much more manageable, having a more concrete figure, I mean. A measly $390/wk will get us a shiny new place to live, a trip to NeOrleans, and a new addition to our family of two. *sigh & thinking, "we got this"*

P.S. Thank you, God. This certainly helps with the anxiety.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...